Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pursue Your Goals

Rick Barry, second from left, pursuing an elusive goal.
          Would you like to achieve your goals? If so, understand this: You will never reach them unless you take steps toward them.
          Sure, that sounds simple, but so many people seem to have goals (or vague dreams) that they might possibly reach if they tried, but they don't try. They don't take take any steps that will advance them toward the prize.
         Want to write a book? Then you have start writing. Or if not actual writing, educating yourself about writing by subscribing to a writers magazine, reading blogs by authors or literary agents.
         Want to change the landscaping in your backyard? It won't happen unless you start taking steps: Setting aside a little money each paycheck. Gathering ideas for trellises, or statues, or shrubbery for when you're ready.
          A week ago I participated in yet another casting call for CBS's SURVIVOR reality show. Sure, I realize the odds are against any one individual being selected out of the thousands who apply, but each season some do get chosen. For me, such an adventure would be a blast, so I have tried out repeatedly. (Even without the cameras, without the prize money, without any fame, I would love that sort of challenge in a tropical setting.) As the show's founder, Mark Burnett, has repeatedly emphasized, you're guaranteed not to make it if you don't at least try.
          In the early part of the 20th century, evangelist Robert Jones used to repeat, "The test of your character is what it takes to stop you." I share that thought to ask you, my friend, what it takes to stop you from reaching worthwhile goals? The fact that it's nap time? That fact that it's a little chilly outside? The fact that others might laugh and tell you you're a dreamer?
          Whatever your goals, I encourage you to stop procrastinating. Get off the sofa and start taking definite steps--even if only baby steps--toward the goal of your choice. You just might surprise yourself by reaching it. But even if you don't, you will gain immense satisfaction from knowing that you sincerely tried. Plus, you will probably achieve some other feats along the way.
         Ready to start trying?

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Steven. May you be drawing ever closer to your own objectives!

      Delete
  2. So very true. Reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt's quote about those who try:...who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at lease he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. This is only the end of it, but you get the idea. I love this quote!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that, Linda. Sometimes I hit my targets. Sometimes I don't. But even the journey is part of the adventure and offers its own rewards. I can't imagine being a person who has no goals, no ambitions greater than to recline on the couch with the TV remote in hand while the world swirls past.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for these thoughts, Rick. If you ever make Survivor, I will watch. I never seriously watch that show because I really don't get it. I know I would never "survive" it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for dropping by, Tammie, and for the good wishes. If you know anyone who works at CBS, feel free to mention to them how great I would be for the show! :)

      Delete