Tuesday, October 7, 2014

1 Helpful Reminder Concerning Distractions

Musings of a Christian Author


Forty years have passed since I made the decision to entrust my soul to Jesus Christ and follow Him. So, it amazes me how, after all this time, whenever I sit to read my Bible or go to prayer, distracting thoughts pop into my head:

 - I recall an email I wanted to send.
 - There's an address I could look up.
 - Something in the garage waits for me to fix it.

The list goes on. The situation reminds me of the Bible's reminder in Ephesians 6:12, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Although Satan doesn't advertise his presence in modern societies as overtly as he does in primitive lands, he and his demons are alive and active. I'm convinced part of their work isn't so much tempting people to do wrong (although they certainly do that), but in tempting us to shift our attention from God and things that are important onto less important things. Far too often, I've been suckered into setting aside a good goal for the sake of something that could have waited. I'm making progress, but those temptations still pop up. I hope you'll join me in remembering we have an invisible enemy who doesn't mind if we don't do wrong as long as we don't do right.

Blessings to you!


1 comment: