Monday, January 19, 2015

For what have you NOT been thankful?

When encountering a verse such as Ephesians 5:20 ("Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ"), I'm tempted to slide right past it. Sure, I'm grateful. I am glad I have a wife and family. I am glad I have a good church family to enjoy. When someone gives me a gift, I make sure to say, "Thank you."

But from time to time I encounter situations that that make me realize I should be thankful for things I often take for granted. For instance, once while visiting residents in a nursing home I saw a man sitting in a chair in the hallway. Assuming he was a visitor like myself, I greeted him, but he continued staring at the wall. When I asked the nurse about him, I learned that this man had had the mind of a baby all his life. He was a nice-looking guy, and about my own age. Yet he would never think an adult thought. For the first time, I thanked God for a brain that can function.

Similarly, on my trips overseas I sometimes see beggars who are missing two and sometimes three limbs. Some people in the U.S. will hold signs on street corners asking for handouts, and it's hard to guess whether they really need aid or are pulling a scam. But when the person asking for help is missing body parts, there is no doubt of the difficulties they face. Do I have two working arms? Two legs? Eyes? Ears that hear? A job? Even these shouldn't be taken for granted, for not everyone has them.

I invite you to pause and reflect. Are there things that you enjoy every day, yet have never truly given thanks for them? Chances are, if you think a few moments, you'll find some!

 

4 comments:

  1. Amen. Today I'm thankful for my health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there, Karla. Good health is a blessing we easily ignore -- until we lose it. Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And thank you for visiting Agents of Faith, Jean. May many blessings be yours!

      Delete